The first time I heard this I though mr. Parmenter had unearthed a long lost gem from Peter Hammill's golden era. Usually such a blind devotion and tribute to one artist makes me turn away quite quickly but this one has won me over in no time.
Main reason is the very consistent quality and artistic vision on this album. Parmenter proves himself not only a songmaster but also a master in execution and instrumentation. The basis is laid by his dramatic and sensitive piano playing. No great gestures but strongly contained emotion that bursts out in gulps but only at the exact moment when they're needed.
Parmenter does really well in mimicking Hammils vocals style. His voice is a bit more gentle, a bit smoother and less exuberant as Hammill's. But not lacking in expressivity and tunefulness.
1. In The Dark (9:22)
2. O Cesare (3:41)
3. Escape Into The Future (4:47)
4. Kaiju (Instrumental) (3:51)
5. Snug Bottom Flute And Starveling (Instrumental) (3:41) 6. Golden Child (3:51)
7. Monsters From The ID (7:53)
8. Polly New (10:07)
9. All Done (Horror Express) (7:19)
10. The Cutting Room (Instrumental) (5:41)
Total Time: 60:13
- Matthew Parmenter / all Instruments except drums, vocals, compositions